Monday, 25 June 2007

Surprise your Palate

I have always found bagels to be plain, heavy and stodgy, but I discovered this morning the reason for that is because those found in Asia exist solely from the deep-frozen variety.

I nipped into the beakfast room at my hotel for a quick snack before venturing out to find a decent coffee. The croissants looked distinctly "warmed-from-frozen" so I made the unnatural choice of a bagel. I was very pleasantly surprised.

The bagel was soft, and chewy, and dense but light at the same time. Although untoasted, it was not unpalatable like the ones from Starbucks in Singapore, and certainly did not taste of freezer burn. What a revelation!

I can't say bagels have become my favourite bread - I still find them to be on the heavy side - but at least I know to ask "Is it made from scratch?" next time I see one.

No comments: