Saturday, 27 October 2007

Kaya Toast anyone?


Despite having cooked somewhat seriously or otherwise for the last ten years, it had never occured to me to try to make bread. I think it was a combination of the lack of counterspace for kneading, along with the intimidation at working with a live culture (yeast!) that probably deterred me for the longest time.

However now that I have plenty of counterspace in my new(ish) home, the former reason is no longer an impediment. After much hesitation, I read up on recipes and techniques in The Joy of Cooking and decided to give it a whirl.

I have to say, I've been absolutely bowled over by the results. The first time I tried, I made pizza and focaccia. Pizza turned out great, focaccia was ok but a bit hard (the pan was probably too large so it turned out biscuitey). I made foccacia again the following week, and this turned out perfectly - I made little panini sandwiches to serve up for poker night. I was so inspired, I also decided to make a batch of milk buns at the same sitting (they were devoured as hot dog buns after a long night of poker and much $$ changing hands...)

There's just something mechanical about kneading dough by hand that seems to help take the stress of work and daily life off my mind. It's just amazing how it's one of the oldest techniques known to mankind, yet the results are always pure alchemy - how does powder plus liquid plus heat equal crusty-on-the-outside-but-soft-on the-inside substenance?

I am so inspired, I have even attempted to make kaya (coconut curd)! Kaya calls for another post of its own, but for now, all I will say is attempt number one turned out ok except the colour is too light (I'll make sure to caramalize the sugar first next time...).

Now all I have to do is wait for my brioche to finish baking so that I can eat it with kaya and butter... Mmmmm...






No comments: