Sunday, 1 July 2007

Reflections




The course has come to an end now and I could not be sorrier. After 4 days of doing nothing but eat, sleep, and dream food, I suddenly feel like the bottom has fallen out of my world. I still wake up at 6am with the anticipation of cooking the day's menu, only to realise 2 minutes later that "hang on, there are no classes today - I don't have to be up so early".

Looking back, I just think this has got to be one of the best "vacations" I have ever taken. It was not relaxing - on the contrary, it was exhausting and sometimes stressful, what with the 7am starts and 4 hours on the feet rushing for lunch service. However,I am in my element in the kitchen, and to me, a cohesive team working together like that feels like a well-tuned orchestra giving a recital. I have not been so intellectually challenged and motivated since university, and I can't think of a time that I have ever been happier in my day job.

I took out of the course more than just mere recipes. I acquired techniques and tricks, learnt all about flavour dynamics, and rediscovered just how passionate I feel about food. I made good friends on the course as well - it is just absolutely amazing how that instant connection is established through the one single commonality - the love of making good food.

Where do I go from here? Well, I know now where my heart lies, even if I am unsure whether it is something I want to do for a living. I know I am a more-than-decent cook right now, and I could be really great at this, but I don't know if I could ever be a great chef. I know the restaurant business is hard, and I am under no illusions that the reality is quite different - not just about the food, but really about the entire package that is delivered to the consumer. This dilemma continues to befuddle me.

What I do know is this - the minute I get home, I'm getting started on my demi-glace from duck bones, and with the rest of the duck, I'm going to have fillets to make steak (like magret), legs to make confit, and a 6 month store of home-rendered duck fat. YUM.

No comments: